Cad File preperation:
Cad files can send to us in a few different formats.
- Don’t spend to much time on plans to start with, a quick sketch or a photo is best to start with.
- If possible put all parts, and instructions on a single file , its easier for us
- Put different types of cut on different layers i.e Outside the line cuts on one layer, inside the line cuts on another layer, pocket cuts on another layer and so on.
Tips to sending CAD files for CNC routing machining
- It’s always a good idea to also send a PDF file so we can check against the CAD file, which can sometimes be corrupted when converting to our CAD/CAM software.
- Intersecting curves, and lines need to connect.
- Lines on top of each other can cause problems.
- We can sort these things out but if their are a lot of curves or shapes it can be very time consuming.
- Scale should be 1 – 1 full size.
- Units should be in mm
- All the parts on a single of CAD file grouped in material, and thicknesses.
- Early version of DXF, and DWG are can be more reliable than the latest version.
- If you have a 3D model it is always useful for getting an over view.
- It can take time to convert a 3D file into a 2D file so send the 2D file as well.
- We use Rhino3D for preparation, which can open a wide variety of 3d formats.
- solidworks .stl file types are preferable for 3d models